WE ARE LOOKING FOR NEW BOARD MEMBERS!
UCHC is seeking to add 2 male patients as Board members to its Board of Directors.
Upham’s Corner Health Center (UCHC) is overseen by a Board of Directors whose members are mostly made up of patients who use the health center’s services.
Serving as a Board member is a volunteer position. Board members are expected to attend one (1) meeting every month. About Board meetings:
- Usually takes place in the evening at UCHC;
- Lasts anywhere from 1 hour to 2.5 hours;
- Food is usually provided; and
- Members have the option of participating electronically by phone.
What is the Role of a Board Member?
As a Board Member, you will be able to represent patients and have a direct impact on the future of the health center and its future direction. Board members:
- Evaluate current policies and establishing new policies for health center programs.
- Review Quality Improvement (QI) reports (including results of patient satisfaction surveys & data about patient complaints) and make recommendations for improvements.
- Look at community data & evaluate the need for (and helps to establish) new programs or services.
- For example, the current Board of Directors looked at the issue of substance abuse in the community and helped to expand the scope of the health center’s substance abuse services.
- Review financial data and approve the health center’s annual budget
New Board members receive full orientation and training on how to perform their duties as a member of the Board of Directors.
Profile of a Board Member
- Has an appreciation for the services that the health center provides to the community.
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Ability to speak and read English (because all of the government regulations, financial documents and reports to be reviewed are in English).
- Cannot be related to a UCHC staff member by blood, marriage or otherwise, and can’t be a UCHC employee.
- Must be 18 years of age or older, and cannot work or volunteer for a competing healthcare employer/provider.
If you are interested, please call the CEO’s office at 617-740-8131 for an application and more information.